Thursday 27 January 2011

First Impressions

"I'll have the steak with a side of ridiculous"
"I'll have a steak with a side of ROFLs


So here's a cheeky wee hybrid of a blog.

I've just finished watching the last in the current series of BBC2s The Trip starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, directed by Michael Winterbottom, and felt compelled to speak about it.

Now I know this defies the rules of a film blog (in that it's not a film that I am discussing - Quelle horreur!) HOWEVER the key element of the show I will be discussing in brief-bloggy-style is the frequent and impressive impressions Coogan and Brydon do from various films...see what I did there?

How gallus I am!

I remain conflicted about the six-part series; some episodes had me in stitches, some had me reaching for the razor blades. Therefore I can't confirm the category I'd file The Trip under (FAIL or SCORE) but one thing I can say is that the impressions they hit out with at the dinner table are phenomenal.

You know, the kind you find yourself trying to do because they make it look so easy (we've all attempted the Michael Caine "only supposed to blow the bloody DOORS OFF!" and anyone that denies it better get dialing 999, coz their pants are on FIRE!)

I found myself completely forgiving the latter parts of the episodes for being so sodden with pathos that I wanted to just turn over or end it (my life i mean), purely because I was still experiencing the after-tremours of a really good LOL!

So my advice to anyone that wants a right gid laugh, watch the repeats on BBC Iplayer, or youtube,and stop each episode about 20 mins in, that way its all hilarious-killer, no depressing-filler!

Or better still watch the clips i've put below, don't say i'm not good to you.

In no particular order, please find below a list of the best impressions that tickled me:

1. Michael Caine - episode 1 saw Coogan and Brydon doing a "Caine-Off". Brilliance.

2. Various James Bonds - Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, villains. "Come, come Mr Bond."

3. Ray Winstone - "drink it". ROFL.

4. Woody Allen - "my mother and law wants to dance on my grave, i'll get buried at sea"

5. Richard Gere - *distant look* *laugh* Respond.

6. Random costume drama soldier - "Gentlemen to bed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...