Thursday 27 January 2011

Diary of a sicko

Didn't even think to ask for proof of medical practice...
Add captionDidn't even think to ask for proof of medical practice...

If there are 3 things I hate it's people who are intolerant of other people's cultures, the Dutch and being ill.

Having spent the last week feeling terrible (cheers swine flu jab, I look forward to seeing you again same time same place next year, ya bas) I've spent the majority of my time watching a smorgasbord of films. Not all bad then.

An ecclectic array of genres, my selection process basically consisted of watching whatever was in arms reach. So if you're looking for any method to my madness - stop it.You won't find one.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy a run down of my daily prescribed viewing.


Day One - The First Dull Pangs of Nausea Strike: La Vita e Bella
 
la-vita-e-bella
The innocence of youth
Roberto Benigni's unforgettable tale of a courage, love and selflessness is masterfully emotive. Simultaneously unsettling and uplifting, the story of a protective father who sacrifices all to protect his son from the horrific realities of a Jewish concentration camp following the German occupation of Italy is enough to turn anyones frown upside down. The audience can easily forgive the outlandish and implausible elements of this story (fairytale pauper winning princess, duping the Nazi system time and time again) in favour of the overwhelming sense of human spirit and optimism. Flu is crap but life is most definitely beautiful.



Day Two - Headaches, fever and longing: A Very Long Engagement

600full-a-very-long-engagement-screenshot.jpg
LOVE
Nothing better on a miserable afternoon of wallowing than a good weepie, a classy French one of course. Audrey Tautou convincingly conveys the relentless turmoil of a young woman deseperately trying to locate her fiance who disappeared somewhere in the trenches of the Somme during World War One. Mathilde (Tautou) is no helpless, weeping damsel as she strives and conives her way through the murky depths of deceit and confusion to find her love. Jean-Pierre Jeunet stays true to stylish form artfully depicting love, mystery, bittersweet humour and betrayal.


Day Three - No Voice? No need: I Love You Phillip Morris
i-love-you-phillip-morris
Relax and unwind with Sandals Holidays

Slight change of pace here. The reason I say "no need for a voice" is that if you bare in mind throughout this film that the story is entirely NON-FICTION, you're rendered speechless anyway. This comedy drama depicts the alarmingly far-fetched (yet true) actions of con artist/ prison escapee Steven Jay Russell and his mind-bending determination to be renunited with the love of his life. Jim Carrey pulls this off superbly, with the poignancy and humour he displays in Man On The Moon. Not at all what I expected but I'm reluctant to give anything away, so just watch and have a browser open on wikipedia as you watch...



Day Four - Woozy, snoozy and wishing to be boozy: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Geek chic
Michael Cera: Perpetual Teen


Like countless others I wasn't best impressed with the trailors for Edgar Wright's comic book caper about an unlucky-in-love lad who finds himself battling the seven evil exs of his new beau. "Pahh, more comic book swill," I sighed, mentally filing it under "ones-not-to-watch-unless-on-a-plane". Well I'll gladly eat those words, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Wright's original and unique visual wizardry takes the audience on an engaging cinematic journey unlike any other with the sharp, pacy dialogue keeping the smirks and laughter frequent. Michael Cera plays Pilgrim as...well Michael Cera (OK he's a one trick pony but it's a pretty good trick) and Kieran Culkin is a surprising treat, as Pilgrim's razor-witted room-mate. Quirky.





Day Five - Feeling human once again: The Social Network
"Hey guys, come see this awesome film blog! INSPIRED!"
"Hey guys, come see this awesome film blog! INSPIRED!"
 Well and truly worthy of it's quadruple Golden Globe win on Sunday night, David Fincher's depiction of the rise of a social networking phenomenon exceeds all expectations. From the top-notch casting of Jesse Eisenberg as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to the fast-paced and witty rhetoric between characters, this film ticks every box. Fincher depicts an undoubtedly fascinating story, without sensationalising a thing. Utterly engrossing, I again found myself trawling through wikipedia fact-checking as I watched. Worthy of the hype and accolades, in short - brilliant.



Films NOT To Watch When Ill
  1. The Exorcist (excess vomatron)
  2. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Augustus Gloop = guaranteed boke)
  3. Titanic (Warning: may cause seasickness - mostly as a result of Winslet's horrific accent)

2 comments:

  1. I have found it truely amazing how many prople either didn't like the trailer or the poster to Scott Pilgrim. When I saw both I was hooked and the film itself confirmed my initial feeling.
    So quirky and off beat. I just absolutely love it. I just cannot praise it enough for its originality, humour and cinematography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what put me off so much about the trailer, but the film won me over within the first few minutes and I was hooked. Thoroughly enjoyed it and have recommended it to many!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...