Thursday 27 January 2011

Cinéma Français, j'taime...

Amelie and I share the same cinematic expression
Amelie and I share the same cinematic expression
French film has always had a certain "je ne sais quoi".

An unashamed cliche but i don't even care - it's true! The people, the places, the humour, the emotion - everything about it invites me in.

My love affair with french film began in my higher french classroom (not that i'm bragging) the day Madame Granger introduced us to Jean Pierre-Jeunet's masterpiece Amelie. Something about Audrey Tautou's wide-eyed optimistic, passionate and quirky view on existence instantly grabbed me and has never let go.



I also owe Madame Granger a wealth of gratitude for introducing me to another outstanding French film: Au Revoir Les Enfants.

au revoir les enfants
Friendship: the only ship that never sinks


Writer/director Louis Malle's account of childhood friendship in a Roman Catholic boarding school in Nazi occupied France is moving and unforgettable.

The understated and believable friendship conveyed by the young actors on screen is convincing and emotive, no more so than when you realise the events that unravelling are not fictional; this is a haunting true story.

Well worthy of the Golden Lion it picked up at the 1987 Venice Film Festival, along with the 2 Academy Awards nominations, I can't recommend this highly enough.



lavie en rose
Je ne regrette rien about watching this classic.
Marion Cotillard blew everyone away with her depiction of Édith Piaf in 2007 biopic La Vie En Rose. Her portrayal of the talented and tragic "little sparrow" not only established Cotillard as 'one to watch' but also brought arguably the biggest French singer of all time to the world's stage.

The climax of the film is undoubtedly the Piaf's pained but powerful rendition of ,"Non, je ne regrette rien." Heart-wrenching, engaging and exquisitely performed - you will not regret watching this.

Chopsticks is hard to master...
Chopsticks is hard to master
The Beat That My Heart Skipped follows Thomas Seyr as he struggles against his pre-destined future in corrupt business to fulfill his dream of becoming a concert pianist and better human being.

On paper, this concept sounds alright, but Romain Duris' performance excelerates this film into the realms of excellence. Offfft quite the sweeping statement eh? But all true. He masters the art of simultaneously conveying turmoil, aggression, sensitivity and humour like few other actors I can think of.

Achieving all of this whilst convincingly playing the piano - nuff said.



Other Outstanding French Films (English titles):
  1. Leon (1994 - Luc Besson)
  2. A Prophet (2009 - Jacques Audiard )
  3. I've Loved You So Long (2008 - Philippe Claudel)
  4. In Paris (2006 - Christoph Honore)
  5. Paris (2008 - Cedric Klapisch)

4 comments:

  1. Cwalla, I cannot tell you how much I LOVE your blog!!! OK I can. A LOT.

    Also I really need to see The Beat That my Heart Skipped as I am more than a little bit in love with Romain.

    When can I start pimping this badboy?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE feel free to pimp away! I'll bring in the beat my heart skipped for you tomorrow, but i'll need it back. J'taime, Romain Duris!!

    xxx

    p.s. Your support is appreciated more than words or mochas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sure there was going to be a thank you in here for your (former) resident French film consultant and DVD lender. Not a peep, incroyable! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say - you moved away so are therefore dead to me. JOKE!
    You'll get a mention at some point :-) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...