Sunday 13 March 2011

Rango: Review

Dali got so commercial towards the end...



Admittedly never one for animations (the Toy Story franchise aside); I can count the times I've chosen to go and watch an animated film on one hand. It's nothing personal, I feel I've got a sufficiently broad imagination and prefer escapism to reality any day of the week, but there's something about animation that just doesn't grab me. I guess I just prefer humans - so sue me.

Well thank goodness I overcame my usual prejudices. Last night I willingly chose to see Rango - and pleasantly surprised I was too!

This witty, trippy Western tale of a wayward chameleon lost in the desert ain't your average animated film. Don't let the overwhelming number of kiddies in the audience fool you - this is sharp, intelligent animation aimed at grown ups, but with enough humorous and tantalisingly colourful characters to keep the kids engrossed as well.
Clever.

From the get-go it's clear that Rango, voiced by Johnny Depp, is searching for more than adventure, he's searching for a purpose. So upon finding himself abandoned in a town called Dirt - in dire need of a new sheriff and water - our protagonist throws himself into the role of importance and pomp he's always dreamt of. As pressumed, all does not go according to plan...
Johnny Depp: the definition of "clashing accessory chic"
The narrative follows that of a traditional Western: the goodies, the baddies, the rejections and wallowing time for reflection (poetanddidntknowit alert). And all of this in mind-boggling animation with CGI action sequences that could give the Matrix films a run for their money - it's safe to say director Gore Verbinski  landed on his feet in his first animated venture.
Clearly in good artistic company, Rango is a visually stunning film of inconceivably high quality.

In short - it blew my tiny mind.

The soundtrack deserves kudos unto itself. Hans Zimmer and Los Lobos combine to make an excellent muscial accompaniment to the action: exhilarating, energetic and captivating. Whoever would've thought Ride of the Valkyries on banjo would work?
Not me - but it does.

Desert? check. Hawiian shirt? check. Acid-tripping-reptilian-protagonist? check.
And with the extra added bonus of constant and subtle artistic nods to various other films - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Chinatown and Apocalypse Now - film buffs everywhere will leave with the satisfaction and sweet smuggery of those "in the know".Cashback.

Rango is showing in UK cinemas now.

2 comments:

  1. Good snappy review! You have summed up what everyone is saying about Rango. I personally love animation and what I particuly like about it is its drive towards the adult market. It works well and is bringing adults into cinema in droves. The animation is absolutely mind boggling and some of the best ever created.
    I'll be going back to my local cinema soon to see this as that animation has just got to be seen to be believed and the best place to enjoy it is the big screen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brent, and for your plethora of other comments, extremely grateful for the feedback!

    You should definitely see it on the big screen - the quality is absolutely phenomenal! And the film itself is so full of wit and depth - I glady stand corrected, animation of this quality is great. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...