Monday 7 February 2011

The Nitty Gritty

Review: True Grit

This years Eurovision entry went for "gun slingin' chic"



For as long as I can remember my dad's repsonse to the question "what are you looking for?" whilst rummaging in drawers and in cupboards has been *in southern drawl* "I'm lookin' for the man who shot ma paw!"

Makes no sense, doesn't need to (we're THAT kind of family), but this is beside the point - I never once thought to question the origin of this quote.

This evening I found out: True Grit.

The latest offering from genius duo, the Coen brothers, is a remake of the 1969 western hit originally starring John Wayne. The story follows 14-year old no-nonsense Mattie as she sets out to capture her father's killer with the help of sauced up, trigger-happy US Marshal Reuben "the rooster" Cogburn. Also on the trail of the murderous Tom Chaney is Texas ranger, LeBeouf, who joins the unlikely pair on their perilous journey.

The brothers Coen already established themselves as masters of the modern western with 2007 adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's, No Country for Old Men. And true to form, True Grit does not fail to meet the high standards they've set for themselves.

Stylish, gritty, exciting: this film transfixes the audience with a combination of anticipation, pathos and humour. Most of the humour comes from the quick-witted heroine, who's tongue could give more of a lashing than LaBeouf's feeble attempts at a whipping when she gets out of line.

"Wait - what d'ya mean braids ain't in?"

Without doubt the breakout performance from 14-year old Hailee Steinfeld steals the show - and it's not easily done when keeping company with the likes of Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin. Steinfeld's stark, frank and cunning approach to what is undoubtedly a "man's business" is admirable, yet the moments upon which she cracks and lets slip a glimmer of the fragile, little girl she really is are the moments which really resonate.

Look up "badass" in the dictionary and find this image

Jeff Bridges gives a strong and strangely endearing performance as Cogburn; achieving the delicate balance of jovial humourous protector and cynical, washed-up drunk. Attempting to fill John Wayne's shoes is no mean feat (see what I did there?) but he certainly pulls it off, making all of those award nominations very much deserved.

MAAAAAATT DAAAMMOOONN 


Almost unrecognisable at first as mouthy Texan ranger, LaBeouf, Matt Damon also hits his mark as the self-righteous and gibbering voice of authority the audience will grow to tolerate and even like, as Mattie and even Cogburn do by the end of the film. The rapid repartee between LaBeouf and Mattie in the first encounter evokes more than a snigger, as he sternly informs her that "a saucy line will not get you far with me." Well, actually, it gets him as far as the climactic end action sequence and I for one am glad, LaBeouf provides laughs in a film I pressumed would have few ("grit" is in the title afterall...)

Overall, an excellent cinematic experience.

If you need more convincing, just watch the theatrical trailer below - I defy anyone not to be a LITTLE bit thrilled when Johnny Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down" kicks in.

Gritty.

8 comments:

  1. Great review! Between this and "No Country", I think the Coen's should make a western at least every other movie. Also, Johnny Cash songs should be in every trailer for a western.
    http://uptwnagain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers! I agree though they're absolute masters of their craft, I've seen quite a lot of the B-track of them on-set as well and they're just ridiculously good at what they do, making it look so easy. Maybe we should pitch the "every other" option to them...
    Totally agree on Cash too, I challenge anyone to find a western trailer that wouldn't be improved by a thigh slappin' Cash accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing and review Carlin. Made me want to see the film.

    Check out "Manhunter" and gies a review, keeeeeennnn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manhunter as in Michael Mann's 1986 based on novel Red Dragon, later remade into the movie Red Dragon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep 'genius' is the only word to describe the Coen's. They are amoung my more favorite film makers of the modern era. Saw Fargo on the big screen all those years ago and have been hooked on them since.
    Really liked last years effort 'A Serious Man'. It is them at their quirky, dark, offbeat best.
    Oh yeah ,quite like a film they made recently called 'True Grit'. You may have heard of it!!!
    Hailee Steinfeld is superb and was so deserving of an Oscar. that never came her way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree I thoroughly enjoyed A Serious Man too, although I know it divided opinion somewhat. Never saw Burn After Reading as I heard such mixed reviews, your thoughts please?
    Oh and Hailee Steinfeld is surely set for more success, she'll get that Oscar one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burn After Reading...you wouldn't believe it but it played on tv here in NZ two nights ago! I saw it at the flicks twice and really liked it. I think because the Coen's are so off beat many people just don't 'get' them, And Reading is certainly off beat. But no more so than A Serious Man.
    It has a stella cast who are just superb. Even Brad Pitt who I consider an over rated actor is very good. The Coen's have brought a quirkiness out of him I'd have never given him credit for having.
    For me each film is dependant on the viewer and what one person loves another doesn't. Coen brothers films have always devided people's opinions especially the quirkier they get.
    In my opinion it is very good film and have always said so and have always told people to see it. All you can do is watch it and make up your own mind.
    I mean I liked Insomnia and you didn't, so which one of us is right? That is how I approach EVERY film I watch. If you like the Coens then I'm sure like Burn After Reading. Let me know what you think after you see it.be interested to know if you think I ave led you asatry!!
    Oh yes I'm sure Steinfeld will get an Oscar but only if she is selective in her roles and is managed well. She has amazing talent for such a young girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! Sorry about the spelling in the last post !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...