Tuesday 17 May 2011

HONEY, I'M HOME!

GFT 1960 (Sorry guys - you're about 40 years too early)
We're through the looking glass people. Yesterday I was granted a key.

"Pray do tell Carlin, a key to WHAT?" I hear you cry. And so I take a deep breath and my heart swells with pride as I regally announce: "WHY, A KEY TO THE GFT!"

And with this the crowds break out into cheer, streamers are thrown, couples embrace, mothers tell their children "note this day, for you shall remember it forever" and a gold statuette is erected in my honour...

Too far?

Somewhat of an over-dramatisation: there were no cries of joy, streamers or gold erections (dare you to click that link) - but i still got a key.

I started my role as a Film Festival Assistant yesterday at the Glasgow Film Theatre, home of quality international cinema and Glaswegian institution - I couldn't be more chuffed.

And it's even better than just being allowed inside the building - I also get an insider's view of how the GFT is run and how festivals come together, not to mention working with all the lovely folks that MAKE THINGS HAPPEN - including the delightful Claire aka brainchild behind uber-cool events company In The Company of Wolves.

PLUS I'm working on a prrrrrrretty cool project to boot. Basically, I'm working with Festival Director extraodinaire Seonaid to get a couple of successful films from this year's Glasgow Film Festival commissioned at other International Festivals. Fun? YES. Even better, what sets these films apart is they've both been re-scored by up and coming British musical acts. Let me tell you some more:

Dramatic readings of the latest Jackie Collins always draws in a crowd
F W Murnau's epic cinematic portrayal of Faust tells the tale of a wager between God and Satan to tempt a learned alchemist into selling his soul. That's the short version of this 1926 silent classic. Now take this incredible story and images and set it against a new semi-classical score for string quintet and electronics by Scottish music producer and DJ, Alex Smoke.

Alex Smoke. Trippy
Featuring the Scottish Ensemble performing the classical elements of the score and a multitude of electronics weaving in hidden references and meaning.

Outstanding.

The second film, for all you sci-fi lovers out there (hey Dad), is Douglas Trumbull's 1972 classic, Silent Running.
What? No, I don't have this poster above my bed...*blushes*
Bruce Dern plays the sole crew member of a spaceship harbouring Earth's last nature reserves. Accompanied only by three robots, he ponders the fate of his last pocket of nature and the deaths of his fellow crew members in this far-looking (and highly entertaining) speculative film.
What could make this masterpiece even more desirable? Why, a post-rock alternative/experimental rock sound track of course, courtesy of alt rock outfit 65daysofstatic.

I get this a lot. Just ignore them and they'll go away.
 This band use keyboards, drum samples, angry post-rock guitars and gritty synth noise to create headphone-hungry, cinematic soundscapes for the digital age. Perfect for a strategically orchestrated 90-minute score to compliment this science fiction classic. If you like sci-fi, and you like experimental rock - GET IN.

So my task from here on in is to get these bad boys distributed to film festivals across ze globe, taking my first babysteps towards total world domination.

WISH ME LUCK!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats are in order to you. See!! that feeling of 'mediocrity' you left uni with paid off in the end didn't it??!(And I use your use of the 'm' word!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...